Trouble with Game Credits

Questions and answers about anything related to Helium Scraper
Shaden

Trouble with Game Credits

Post by Shaden » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:45 pm

Hello all,

First, I love the product. It is saving me a lot of time collecting data for my dissertation. I am, however, running into a problem getting data from a particular website in the order I need to be in. Speficially, I need the credit data from the following website in the below order. http://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/0 ... ne/credits
Column 1: Name of Studio (Ex: Bizarre Creations Limited)
Column 2: Title of Person (Ex: Development Team)
Column 3: Name of Person(s) (Ex: Eric Abdoul, David Al Daini, ect).

Ideally, the name of the company would be on every row, whereas the title of the person would change each row). Instead, I always get a lot of rows with only the name of the studio, with nothing in column 2 and 3. Then I will get all of the information for column 2 and 3 (as I want it) without the name of the studio they work for.

Any ideas?

crookedleaf

Re: Trouble with Game Credits

Post by crookedleaf » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Shaden wrote:Hello all,

First, I love the product. It is saving me a lot of time collecting data for my dissertation. I am, however, running into a problem getting data from a particular website in the order I need to be in. Speficially, I need the credit data from the following website in the below order. http://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/0 ... ne/credits
Column 1: Name of Studio (Ex: Bizarre Creations Limited)
Column 2: Title of Person (Ex: Development Team)
Column 3: Name of Person(s) (Ex: Eric Abdoul, David Al Daini, ect).

Ideally, the name of the company would be on every row, whereas the title of the person would change each row). Instead, I always get a lot of rows with only the name of the studio, with nothing in column 2 and 3. Then I will get all of the information for column 2 and 3 (as I want it) without the name of the studio they work for.

Any ideas?
what you want to do is create the entire list of names as a kind. theres a way to select the entire box of names (NOT on an individual basis!). the easiest way to do so is by selecting just to the right of all the names when selecting your kind. create this as a kind called "Header" or something unique. then create an action using under "using action tree" and "more". there will be an option called "force elements into same row" when it asks what element, use the "Header" kind. you want to run this action, THEN select the kinds you want to scrape (the game, the individual names, etc.). build your extract action off the kinds that way, and it will do what you are trying :)

Shaden

Post by Shaden » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:15 pm

I am still struggling to do this. I followed your advice (thank you!) but the result ends up with:
The game name always showing in the rows.
The company name showing in the next column, but no title or person name.
Then when there are no more company names, it will show the game game, blank firm name, and the title and person.

I am thinking that the program is having a hard time associating the company name with the people below it. Is the company name in a different table?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/0 ... ne/credits

Shaden

Post by Shaden » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:23 pm

I kept working with it and I got it to work! I did not explain my problem clear enough in the first post, but your link to the 'Force elements into the same row' was the function I needed and the description made me able to figure it out! Thanks so much for this great program.

Shaden

Post by Shaden » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:46 pm

I have a followup question. I was able to get the Execute > Wrap function to work to get the company names to be headers. However, some of the people's name in the credits are hyperlinked, whereas others are not. I am able to get all of the hypelrinked names to show up correctly when I only make a kind of the hyperlinked named. However, if I make a kind of both hyperlinked names and non-linked names, Helium warns me the items may not be the same, the program seems to parse the information wrong and my tables get messed up if I run an extract.

Is there a way to get both hyperlinked and non-hyperlinked names as the same kind? For example, "Absolute Textures" provided 'Additional Textures' but I am unable to get them in the table. http://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/0 ... ne/credits

Thanks!

Shaden

Post by Shaden » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:18 pm

I figured it out. I made a new kind for the unlinked names.