run external application

Questions and answers about anything related to Helium Scraper
crookedleaf

run external application

Post by crookedleaf » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:19 pm

this may be outside of what helium can do, but is it possible (maybe through javascript) to run an external application?

webmaster
Site Admin

Re: run external application

Post by webmaster » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:43 pm

I don't think this is possible. Why do you need to do this?
Juan Soldi
The Helium Scraper Team

crookedleaf

Post by crookedleaf » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Pretty much I have a scrape that runs every hour, and that exports the data at the end. What I was trying to do was have it automatically launch a macro I made (a .exe file) once it is done. The macro automatically opens up the export and does a bunch of other macros in excel generates tax, toals, cancellation dates, etc.). Once that excel macro does that, it runs another macro that imports the cleaned up excel file into our CRM system. It's a pretty intricate process. I bypassed this by setting up another program to look at the export file, and just run the macro any time the file's "modified time" is changed. Kinda a little work around but it works great :)

webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Since you can run Helium Scraper from the command line (there are a bunch of options also, see the documentation), perhaps you could use Windows Task Scheduler to run HS and then, when HS closes (you can set it to close after it's done extracting with the command line options too), start your other application.
Juan Soldi
The Helium Scraper Team