Connect to Database - Database Size

Questions and answers about anything related to Helium Scraper
Shaden

Connect to Database - Database Size

Post by Shaden » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi,

I am starting to use a "start processes" action which asks me to connect to an external database. I have figured out how to do this. However, if I stop the tree, and "empty output files", the access database remains at a huge size (75MB). I have opened the access file and looked in the tables, but there is no data. Therefore, why does the access file remain so big in size with no data in it?

Thanks!

crookedleaf

Re: Connect to Database - Database Size

Post by crookedleaf » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:43 am

Shaden wrote:Hi,

I am starting to use a "start processes" action which asks me to connect to an external database. I have figured out how to do this. However, if I stop the tree, and "empty output files", the access database remains at a huge size (75MB). I have opened the access file and looked in the tables, but there is no data. Therefore, why does the access file remain so big in size with no data in it?

Thanks!
this unfortunately is a problem with Access, and quite a normal one at that. normally, databases need to be maintained. the quickest and easiest way to solve the file size issue is open up the database, go to database tools, and click "compact/repair database". this will drastically cut the size down. i always recommend making a copy of the database before doing this just to be safe. although i've done it thousands of times with Access databases over the last 10 years and never had issues.